Sunday, August 16, 2009

Slow Travel Sunday Salad Samplers # 17: Potato Salad

This week's Selection was made by Slow Traveler, Bugalu, Whistlestop Cafe Cooking. Bugalu provided two favorite recipes of hers and allowed us to choose. Since I have never had a Southern Potato Salad before I selected her first recipe. I used regular potatoes and followed her recipe exactly. I absolutely loved it! I really like the extra flavors brought on by the sweet relish, spicey mustard and sweet onions. Her recipe was so easy to make and I can totally see myself making this salad again.


Here is Bugalu's instructions to her very delicious recipe:

I know there are as many recipes for potato salad as there are kinds of potatoes. This is a recipe that is a combination of a southern potato salad and a German mustard potato salad. It is a favorite for us!

Southern Mustard Potato Salad Ingredients:

1-2 pounds potatoes
4-5 hard boiled eggs
1 sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup pickle relish
3 Tbs spicy mustard
1/2 cup mayo

Clean potatoes then boil them whole. Once tender, 15-20 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. Dice onion and celery. Dice potatoes into large chunks. In another bowl whisk together mayo, mustard and pickle relish. Add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir all ingredients together. Finally, peel and slice the hard boiled eggs and stir those in as well. Serve warm or cold.

Warm Potato Salad is another favorite potato salad and this one is from my cookbook:

1 pound red potatoes
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup non fat sour cream
2 Tbs vinegar
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Wash and cook potatoes whole until tender.Drain and allow to cool. In a large bowl, combine sour cream and vinegar. Slice the potatoes into thin slices. Combine all ingredients. Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve warm.

9 comments:

  1. Kathy, yours looks delicious! And I'm so glad you tried it because it really is a classic Southern recipe....I've probably eaten it a thousand times in my life! The spicy mustard is a new twist for me though and I liked it a lot.

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, I'm really glad I tried it too. I've never tried a Southern Recipe before and I loved it. Now that I've tasted a good southern potato salad, I'm hooked. You were so lucky to have grown up with two grandmothers who cooked great Southern dishes for you. I love the spicy mustard flavor too. And I also liked the onions, celery and relish. Very tasty.

    Thanks so much for your comments Annie. I had a great weekend. I hope you enjoyed your weekend too. Doesn't it just fly by. Seems like only yesterday it was Friday. :)

    Have a nice Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking salad, Kathy! Like you, I never had a southern potato salad before but will correct that soon. It seems that the spicy mustard gives it a nice color and flavor. I made the second recipe because I was making the salad just for myself and I prefer sour cream over mayonnaise. It was delicious!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad looks great.I really love potatoes, but never been a potato salad fan, because of the mayo, so I chose Sandi's second recipe with the sour cream, yum, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks great. My mother made a similar salad. The other recipe looks great also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Everyone, thanks so much for your comments.

    Maria, I had never tried a Southern potato salad before and I loved it! The spicey mustard was very good along with the relish and onions. I want to also try her Warm Salad recipe too because it sounds and looks very delicious too.

    Candi, I don't mind mayo so I did love her Southern Mustard Salad recipe a lot, but I would love to also try her Warm Potato salad using the sour cream too. Yours and Maria's looked very delicious.

    Marta, that's cool that your mom made a similar salad. Annie's grandmothers made it a lot too. I do enjoy having potato salad but have never tried making it before, so this week was fun.

    Thanks again everyone. I thought it was so great that Sandi provided us with two fabulous choices this week and everyone's salad looked very delicious. I loved her Southern Mustard Salad recipe and will probably love her Warm Potato Salad recipe too.

    Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, I'm afraid I don't really have much to say about the potato salad recipe.

    But I was just reading your updated travel plans and they sound fabulous! A nice mix of rural and urban time, with plenty of time to see Edinburgh. I agree, after reading all of Mary's blog entries (and those amazing photos) I'm now anxious to chuck everything and head to Scotland. I can just taste the tea and clotted cream and I want to see that amazing washroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, I checked out your travel plans too and it looks great. I'm glad you're going to that isle because I've heard it's so beautiful. And I think it will be fun to finish up in Edinburgh for 5 or more days.

    I hope the bargain airfare shows up asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandra & Annie, thanks for liking my travel plans. It's too bad that my other blog doesn't have a comments feature. I will probably start to blog more about my trip on this blog once I actually purchase my tickets and the trip seems more real.

    Sandra, I tried my best to give me a little bit of both rural and urban like you said. I don't blame you for wanting to chuck everything and head to Scotland after reading Mary's wonderful posts about her visit to Edinburgh. Looking at her beautiful photos, I think I'm going to really enjoy it there. I think having tea, clotted cream and seeing those pretty washrooms would be very cool!

    Annie, I can't wait to visit the isle of Skye. I decided to start in the Highlands first because of the weather. And from Edinburgh, I might attempt a quick day trip to a nearby town by train.

    I hope the bargain airfare shows up too. But if not,oh well. It was worth a try to wait to see what happens.

    Thanks again so much for your comments girls! I appreciate the feed back. Have a good day today.

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.