Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Granada, Spain: The Alhambra-A source of inspiration . . .

Before my trip to Spain last November I had read in many guide books that the Alhambra in Granada was considered to be the “Jewel” of Andalusia! In my live blogging I called it Paradise on Earth because of its amazing architecture and beautiful gardens. It’s image far and near has been a source of inspiration for artists, writers, poets, photographers and musicians who are lucky to experience it’s beauty.

For one of the best views, I took the red bus from my hotel to this part of town called the Albaicin located on the opposite hill. Here's a photo of the Albaicin from the grounds of the Alhambra.


And a closer look at where I was heading out to.


At the Mirador de St. Nicholas plaza you'll see a 16th century white washed Church called San Nicholas on one side


and what is considered to be the best view of the magnificent Alhambra with the Sierra Nevada mountains in the background on the other.


In addition to the amazing views, the plaza was a very interesting place to hang out in. There were artists, musicians, locals selling castanets and jewelry, I even crashed into a local who decided to just start singing.


And then way in the corner of this bustling plaza, I observed a local artist caught up in his own world to capture the subject of his inspiration.


In a few days, I'll take you inside the amazing Alhambra for more sights and sounds . . . .

12 comments:

  1. Kathy, it is so beautiful. I loe your photos. I have never been to Spain, but it is on my list, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candi, thanks so much for your comments. If you get a chance, you definitely should see Spain.
    It's a beautiful and diverse country with very friendly people.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, your photos are fantastic! I love the one of the artist, and that cross with the sun shining is so beautiful. And what a sweet white-washed church.

    Looking forward to going inside the Alhambra...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathy, for these beautiful photos. I've said before that I long to see the Alhambra, the Moorish influence is so fascinating!

    I should stop talking about it, and actually do it.

    I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie, I like that photo of the artist and the plaza too! From that angle and the sun, the cross really stands out to me. That was a really cool church and I'm really surprised that I didn't go in. I was so preoccupied with the activity of the plaza and the view I forgot to check out that cute church.

    I'm still working on my photos but I should be done in a couple more days.

    Have a great day tomorrow Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra, thanks for your comments. The Moorish influence is very fascinating. I was so in awe with the detail and use of space. I think you should definitely visit there one day.

    Thanks for your comments Sandra. Have a nice day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos! I love Alhambra, it is really amazing. I went there on a school trip in year 11 - my friend and I are still proud of the fact that we convinced the school to let us go to southern Spain for a week. All the other classes seemed to take a bus trip to Poland or Estonia (nothing wrong with those countries but slightly dreary in the winter) so we were pretty happy to go to sunny Spain! Alhambra and Alcazar were of course some of the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chiocciola, that's pretty cool that you were able to convince your teachers to go down to sunny and Southern Spain. The Alhambra is defnitely an amazing place and I consider it one of my highlights as well.

    Thanks so much for your comments Chiocciola and have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos!! I must say that after reading your posts and Maria's posts about Spain, it is making me think more about getting there one day. I also have been thinking about Portugal. Maybe after 2 or 3 more trips to Italy??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Girasoli, glad you liked the photos. Portugal does sound very interesting too especially after reading Deborah's posts about Lisbon. I think you should definitely visit Spain one day. You would really like it. I understand the repeat trips to Itay though, because I feel the same way! :)

    Have a great day Girasoli!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos brought back super memories for me - the Moorish influence on this part of Spain makes it quite intriguing. Love the Alhambra - mystical for me - your photos are lovely - especially the artist! Did you by any chance take the twilight tour through it? Menehune

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Menehune, glad you enjoyed the photos and that it brought back some super memories for you. I agree with you that the Alhambra has this mystical feel. Very interesting place to visit and the Moorish influence I found fascinating.

    Yes, I did take the night tour and it was wonderful. The entire grounds is so incredible.

    Thanks so much for hour comments! Have a great Valentine's Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.