Sunday, November 16, 2008

Soulful Sevilla, the passion of Flamenco . . .

Sorry for not posting recently but for some reason I haven't been able to recapture that Wi-fi signal again. But just now, I got a signal on my itouch and had to jump on it. Not sure how long I'll have it so will have to be quick. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to find that Internet cafe Maria recommended but if not I'll definitely update my blog when I get to Cadiz.

I've been quite distracted here and haven't been hitting the sights as much as I had planned to. Guess I have been enjoying life in Seville. Did an interesting day trip to Cordoba which I will write about when I' m back on line.

But there is one thing that I just have to blog about even if it means using only one finger on my I-touch. Last night I watched my very first live Flamenco show! I arrived at Los Gallos around 7:10pm. I was the first one in line at the door for the 8:00 pm show. Can you tell I was anxious and excited. I asked the lady at the door if photos were allowed and she said no. I can understand having that policy.

I get a great second row seat and when I asked the waitress about my selection she said that I picked one of the best seats in the place. Whoo hoo! The show doesn't start for another 30 minutes and so I check out the CD that they were selling and I buy it for a souvenir. The price of the show is $30 euros and comes with one drink. I asked for some cava but they didn't have any so I ask for a sangria.

At 8:00 sharp they dim the lights and the guitar player goes up to the stage from the back of the room. He is joined by two Cantaores. The flamenco guitarist begins his first song and it is amazing. The speed at which his fingers float up and down the neck of his classical Spanish guitar is phenomenal. There are a total of three excellent guitarists each playing a different set during the evening. The first female dancer (Bailaoras) comes down the curving white staircase. She is dressed in this beautiful white Spanish dress, her hair is tightly pinned
up. She looks beautiful. She pounds her shoes to the floor of the stage with great strength and yet she is elegant. Then a thunder of shoe
tapping, twisting and hand movements follows. There is great passion and intensity to her movement and in her facial expression as she
twists, turns, stomps and moves across the stage. The Cantaores sing out, clap, snap their fingers and stomp their shoes as their eyes are
glued to the Bailaora. Her expression is intense and as she spins mightily her hairpin goes flying across the stage. Then just as the intensity
begins, it ends with a mighty stomp and the audience errupts with applause. I sit there and clap my heart out . . . and you know that I had
to do it! I yelled out Whoo hoo! And this was just the first dancer and first set. There were five additional equally excellent sets with great dancers and also the finale with all the dancers on stage. It was funny that the waitress came by to ask how I was enjoying the show and I told her that I was loving it.

I once wrote on my blog that the best way to describe a Flamenco show is through the eyes of a child and I now know how true that
statement is. It is so clear to me now why Maria's then two year old son in 1981 stood up, smiled and clapped at this very show at Los
Gallos. I am so happy that I waited until I came to Seville and to Los Gallos (located in the Barrio Santa Cruz) to see my first live Flamenco
show. Thank you so much Maria for sharing your family story and for recommending this show during my trip planning.

I will always remember this very soulful and passionate performance for years to come as well. It's pretty hard not to!

BTW, I must say a brief word about the third guitarist and Bailaores . . . Whoo hoo! Okay, two words!

Thanks everyone for your comments. I' m just so sorry I can' t respond more thoroughly to them. But I have to laugh at your comment
girasoli. I' ok have to share this one story ... As I was walking along the street here and holding my cup of starbucks (and coffee Americano
no less) a local stopped me and actually gave me a little lecture about my starbucks coffee. starbucks. It was too funny and I had to mention it after reading your comment! So as you can see you 're not the only one to question my choice in coffee here in Seville! :) He he!

Bye for now. . .

Edited to add a photo of Los Gallos


Sevilla at night . . .

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kathy, good to hear from you...sounds like you are having such a great time!

    I have to laugh about you yelling out "Whoo Hoo" at the flamenco show! And also about getting a lecture from a local about drinking Starbucks, too funny. Hey, it could be worse...at least you weren't eating a Big Mac and drinking a Budweiser, ha ha.

    Take care and don't worry about responding to our comments, just keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that you wrote this post on your iTouch! Great story and great description. Too bad you couldn't take any photos.

    I am still laughing about the Starbucks coffee and even more so that you received a lecture from a local.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear how your trip is going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girls, thanks for all your comments. And yes I have definitely learned my lesson, I have since been drinking coffee and having what Maria has taught me, a typical Andalucian breakfast at a nearby cafe. It is a toasted bread with a tomato sauce on it and it is delicious. No more lectures for me!:) It´s funny but at Starbucks you see a lot of americans and at the local cafe nothing but locals (so much more interesting). That local did me a huge favor. And now that you all mentioned it too, I am so happy that I made that change. Sometimes I do revert back to my comfort zone and sometimes that´s just no fun and lacks adventure! He he!

    I leave for Cadiz tomorrow and will sadly miss Sevilla. It´s such an awesome city!

    talk to you all again in Cadiz!

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.