Monday, November 17, 2008

Ole . . .

Today I found the internet cafe and will try to post a few photos of my stay in Sevilla. On my second day here I visited the plaza de Toros de la Maestranza which was built between 1761 and 1881. I paid $5 euros and it included a nice guided tour of the bullring, the bullfighters museum and the bullfighters chapel. Interestingly, the bullring itself is not completely round but oval in shape. Our tour guide was excellent and pointed out where the dignitaries sat in the audience and explained how when there was a "good" showing, then the matadore is presented with some kind of distinguishing honor from them. The museum is pretty interesting too and is filled with all kinds of history and even the costumes of some of the most famous bullfighters in Sevilla. The bullring can hold up to 14,000 spectators. Although I´m not sure I could actually see a bullfight it was very interesting to learn about this very popular Spanish tradition and sport.

As I made my way to the bullring, I crashed into a pretty lively student demonstration!


Entrance to the Bullring


Inside the Bullring

Our tour guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.