Monday, September 12, 2011

Trekcapri's 2011 Amalfi Coast Adventures: The Dream lives on . . .



I haven't been back to Italy since 2007 when I visited Venice for two whole weeks. It's been great traveling to places I've never been to like Spain, Czech Republic, Belgium and Scotland and also re-discovering new and familiar places in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. But as the old saying goes, "absence makes the heart grow fonder".   

For my 4th trip to Italy, I plan to try something a little new with something a little familiar. New will be to see the small and charming towns along the beautiful Amalfi Coast and familiar will be to revisit the island of Capri.

It took me a while to decide on actually going on this trip because I was not only waiting for a good airfare, but I was also waiting for my asthma to improve. Like clockwork I've been taking my daily meds but my recovery has been slow and I'm still not 100% fully recovered.  But how could I not travel this year?  I have been drawing great inspiration from fellow Slow Traveler and blogging friend, Sandra (A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with too much Luggage) who is about to fulfill her dream of moving to Rome to carve (and write) out an exciting new chapter in her life. I'm very excited for Sandra and I'm looking forward to reading about her awesome journey. It looks like I might even be lucky enough to meet her in Rome, which will be really cool.

As usual, I always draw travel inspiration from my fellow Slow Travelers. I am inspired by Sandra and her plans to move to Rome, by Kaydee who wrote a great trip report about her stay in Ravello with her family and by Mimi, who wrote a wonderful trip report about her experiences with friends basing in Priano and exploring around the Amalfi Coast. And it goes without saying that I am always inspired by Slow Travel Founder, Pauline Kenny, the Slow Travel Community and by all my blogging friends.

They say that great poets, song writers, novelists and even film makers are drawn to this part of Southern Italy in the Campania Region so why shouldn’t it also draw dreamers like myself as well. I've decided to base in the small town of Priano (Wikipedia) for the entire three weeks.  This is the longest I have stayed in one place and I'm really excited to try it for the first time.

I read an apartment review by fellow Slow Traveler, Mimi, describing this part of Southern Italy south of Sorrento as "old world." I love that description. Unlike my recent trip to the very vibrant cities of Amsterdam, and Berlin, there are no fancy modern museums, no art galleries, no super tall towers with precision elevators to lift us up for a spectacular view of the coast. No, not here. What I'm going to find and hopefully discover is an "Old World" charm that Mimi spoke of.

There's a paper mill museum, a miniature village display (YouTube Video) on the side of a winding road between Priano and Positano and there are hundreds of steps to climb up in order to earn my view.  Inspired by fellow Slow Traveler and blogging friend AnnieNC (Churches in Venice) I'm looking forward to visiting several of the beautiful small churches in the Amalfi Coast like the Church of San Luca Evangelico which features paintings by Giovanni Bernardo Lama (Wikipedia). For my dining pleasure there are small but charming places like nearby Vivaro Wine Bar (Official Website).

I plan on keeping my itinerary loose, simple and very slow. On my "must see" sightseeing list: Capri, Positano, Ravello, Paestum and as many of the small towns like Atrani, Scala, Minori as I can see. I will use public transportation (hoping not to get motion sickness on those Sita buses).

Although the apartment has a spectacular view, it does not have WiFi.  Several months ago I invested in a Novatel 2352 MiFi (Official Website) device and I plan to purchase a TIM SIM card in Rome so I can hopefully have a hot spot to connect to the web. If that doesn't work, I learned that there is a little bar nearby that has WiFi service for 20 Euros a week.  Let's see, pizza, prosecco and WiFi.  I know that WiFi isn't very "old world" of me, but I love writing live blogs on my trips and then reliving every special moment when I return home. :)

So there you have it.  I finally purchased my plane tickets, I've started working on my itinerary and I've dusted off my Italian Phrase book. Trekcapri's 2011 Amalfi Coast Adventures has officially begun.

And the Dream lives on . . . 

11 comments:

  1. Lovely, K! I would look forward to reading about your travels. I visited Sorrento, Capri and Positano on one of my first trips there....Wondering why I never went back! The description of Sorrento is so true, at least for me. Loved this area of Italy. Something wonderful for you to look forward to~hope your asthma continues to improve.m

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love, love the Amalfi Coast. We haven't been there for years but it will be the just the same when we get there as last time. So beautiful!

    When are you going? I missed that somehow. Wonder if our travels will ever coincide so that we can GTG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I'm so excited for you! It sounds like a fantastic trip, and I'm glad you're able to return to Italy. I saw part of a cooking show on TV this weekend set on the Amalfi coast and the food looked wonderful. What fun! Pizza, prosecco, and WiFi - sounds like paradise!

    Good luck with the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kathy, your plan really does sound brilliant -- I'm so excited for you! Your apartment is going to be gorgeous and I can't even imagine what spectacular views you'll have. The entire area sounds so beautiful!

    It will be wonderful to meet you in Rome, I suspect I'll be pretty rattled by my move and I'm looking forward to meeting a friend.

    Let's hope the mifi works well, I'll be so interested in seeing all of your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone, thanks so much for your comments....

    M, it's good to hear that you enjoyed your trip here. Hope you are able to return soon in the future. My asthma is taking longer than I expected to get better but the good news is that it is getting better, thank you so much for your well wishs...

    Jane, I didn't know that you visited the Amalfi Coast. I'm so happy to hear that you and M speak so highly of it. I'm sure that I will love it too. I was in Capri and Sorrento last in 1993, so it's been many years for me too. I never went as far south as Amalfi though. I leave Nov. 10 and will be there for 3 weeks. I'm sure that the time will come when I will meet you and the lovely pepole on ST. I feel bad that I missed the San Diego GTG. I always check the new GTG posts for any new opportunity to attend. I think I'll be able to attend one of them one day. It would be awesome to meet you and Casey.

    Annie, :) paradise is right! He, he. It's so funny you mention a cooking show, I actually looking into any cooking classes I could attend. One is called Mama Agata, but I think they are closed during the winter. I may ask the tourist office when I get there.

    Sandra,thank you, I do believe that this could top "my beautiful canal" in Amsterdam and "my beautiful park" in Berlin. :) It will be very cool to hang with you in Rome even it it is for only a night. I have a strong feeling that you'll be meeting so many people and making loads of new friends in Rome and I will be thrilled to be one of them. :) I hope the mifi works too but I have a back up at the Vino Paradise Bar just in case. :)

    Thank you everyone, I appreciate your well wishes and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, actually we have been there twice and stayed in Priano the last time--we were right above the water--steep cliff down but a super little fishing cove at the bottom. Loved it! The great thing about Italy is that it doesn't change so if it was beautiful it is beautiful. Oh--enjoy the road--it's a thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane, how wonderful that you also stayed in Priano too. It sounds like a lovely little town and I'm so looking forward to "living" there for three weeks. :) You are so right about Italy, beautiful always stays beautiful....cool.

    I think riding on the Amalfi road is an attraction in and of itself. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences Jane. I'm looking forward to my visit even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, Kathy! I know you have missed Italy, and now you are going!

    I will join the others in following along on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy, thanks so much for your comments. I am so excited and a little nervuous, like being reaquainted with a old friend. :)

    Hope you had a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I am so excited for you!

    I have been wanting to return to the Amalfi Coast for a long time now. I always start out with it in my plans but then things get changed.

    The town of Amalfi was my favorite stop. I believe the paper mill is located there?

    I am looking forward to more of your planning posts and your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Girasoli, thanks so much for your comments....I can't wait to visit Amalfi. And yes I have read about the paper mill and museum, that is on my must see list along with the Duomo there. I'm really looking forward to checking the town out at a very leisurely pace.

    I understand about plans changing. I originally planned to visit Portugal, but the call of Italy was too great. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.