Monday, May 30, 2011

PRINCE: My Purple Funky Town Experience . . .

For a short while in 2011, I was very lucky to visit that Purple Funky Town Place . . . where time stood still, where everyone danced, sang and was moved by the music of peace, love, funk and soul! It was a very beautiful place to be (if only for a little while).
 

I was very fortunate to be able to attend 8 Welcome 2 America 2011 Tour concerts at the Forum in Los Angeles and as promised by his Purpleness (a really cool nick name borrowed from AnnieNC), each was slightly different than the other. Prince is without a doubt a Genius and I am so glad I was able to experience it as many times as I did.

There were so many highlights from his Finale show, but for me having him sing Adore was very special.  I will always remember that! And as for the other highlights, definitely Stevie Wonder singing Superstition while playing the keyboards and with Prince accompanying him on bass, Chaka Khan singing I'm Every Woman and Sweet Thing with Prince, Mary J. Blige singing a mesmerizing No More Drama and Nothing Compares to U with Prince, Shiela E on percussion and singing Glamorous Life, Maceo Parker on sax during Purple Rain and being introduced to such artists as Nikka Costa and Esperanza Spalding, his guitar playing, his booty shaking dancing (including that famous shirt ripping 5/27/11 show) . . . and his awesome band, back-up singers and the twins.

 
He sang many of his old school hits, often in a refreshing new arrangement which made them brand new all over again.  Some of my memorable favorites, DMSR, KISS, 1999, House Quake, Cream, When Doves Cry, Future Soul Song, Take Me With U, Black Sweat, Scandalous, Insatiable, The Beautiful Ones and on and on! As Prince said, so many hits . . . . :)



Much love and thanks for taking us on this memorable journey to a place where music is the bond! At one moment during last night's performance, the group in our section joined hands and raised them up in the air united by the Cool One's greatness and sharing that wonderful Purple Funky Town place!  I thought the wave was really cool too.



Now if only I could win the Lotto so I can fly to Europe to follow his tour there! I'll be in Italy this year, but unfortunately not while he's there!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    It sounds like you had a wonderful experience! I bet it would be great to follow his Purpleness across Europe. Not sure if I missed it previously or if you just made you trip to Italy public. When is the trip? I am excited for you.
    I've been a bit out of the loop lately--adjusting to a new home, visitors, travel, etc..-but I am looking forward to getting back into the blogging world and catching up with my cyber friends.
    Have a good week. Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stevie Wonder?? And Mary J. Blige??! That is just amazing - you are so lucky! That is very cool that he doesn't do the same show every night...makes it even more exciting to see what new songs he does, I bet.

    I'll never forget the one time I saw him and hope that I get a chance to see him again someday. Agree completely that he's a genius and one of the best performers of all time. Thanks for the report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Girls, thanks so much for your comments . . .

    Maya, I think it would be so cool to follow his tour in Europe and it would be such a great adventure too. I intended on going to Portugal this year, but I have been missing Italy too much so decided to return this year and so I put off Portugal. I'm thinking of going to some new places I've never visited before like Ravello, Positano and Amalfi. And a return trip to Capri. I haven't made it public on this blog yet because I haven't bought my airline tickets yet and I usually wait until I get my tickets before I consider my trip a reality. Until then, it's in the dream stage. :)

    I figure you have been pretty busy with your transition still and I remember you mentioned having your cousin visiting. I'm glad you'll be getting back to writing more blog posts, I've missed reading your regular entries.

    Annie, can you believe! I do feel very lucky to have seen them. My first time seeing Stevie perform live and Mary J. She sang No Drama so well, almost gave me goose bumps. Prince is so amazing. When he strung his ballads together like Adore, Scandalous and Insatiable it was so smooth. And when he does KISS, everyone is up on their feet dancing, you couldn't sit during that performance. I wish he would return to your state, because I know that you would totally love it. I think he's heading to Europe now, but you just never know with Prince. He has a reputation for just deciding at the last minute to perform somewhere which he could do before he leaves for his European tour. If I hear anything of him returning to NC, I will totally give you a heads up. I heard that he's going to perform at the Umbria Jazz Festival in July 15. I was thinking of Sandra when I read that, but I don't think she'll be there in July? I totally agree with you, Prince is one of the best performers of all time. I could never get tired of seeing him perform. :)

    Thanks so much Annie & Maya for liking my report and for sharing my "enthusiasm" for his "Purpleness". Thanks Annie for my new favorite nick name for him. :)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - "his Purpleness" - love it!!

    Sounds like an amazing show!! Also sounds like a fabulous Italy trip on the horizon. I thought Amalfi was charming, at least in March. My sister recently spent a couple weeks near Salerno and highly recommends that area if you get that far south. My mom and I won't get south of Rome this summer, but another time I want to get down further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne, thanks so much for your comments....his Purpleness did such amazing shows. Very unforgettable series of concerts for me. Hope he does more after his European Tours. :)

    I think on my first trip I went to Sorrento, but I hardly remember that trip other than our boat ride to Capri to see the Blue Grotto. I just remember how beautiful the coast was. And I've seen Positano in movies and it seems really beautiful. I think Salerno is just south of Amalfi and it is coincidently on my radar to see so thank you its great to hear that your sis liked it and that you liked Amalfi. It'll be a different and new experience going that South but I'm pretty excited about going back to Italy. :)

    I can't wait to hear about your trip with your Mom. If I don't have a chance before you leave, safe travels and have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.