Sunday, October 26, 2008

Flamenco in Sevilla . . .

During my week long stay in Sevilla, I will see my first ever live Flamenco show at Los Gallos. I have been really looking forward to seeing a genuine Flamenco show ever since I first started planning my trip to Spain and I am so excited that it is about to happen.

If you have read my previous post HERE, you'll know that my interest was inspired by a sweet story told by fellow blogger pal, Maria, when she wrote about her family vacation and her experience with her then 2-year-old son. You can read about that special family moment in Maria's blog HERE. I know that I will totally enjoy the performance and I am so looking forward to seeing the show. Thanks again to Maria for sharing your heartwarming family story with me!

And in order for me to really appreciate what I am about to see at Los Gallos, I did a bit of research and this is what I learned:

First, the male flamenco singer is known as a cantaor, the female singer is referred to as a cantaora. Flamenco dancers are bailaor/a. Most songs and dances are played with a thumping guitar rhythm, and percussion provided by tapping feet, clapping hands or the brassy clink of castanets. The traditional flamenco costume for women is a shawl, a long frilly bata de cola dress and a fan. Men are adorned in flat Cordoban hats and tight black pants.

The first flamenco cante jondo (deep song) was a tortured howl of passion from poorer, often marginalized, Andalucians. This passion is still at the heart of modern flamenco. The ability to convey passion and tap into deeper human emotions is the essence of flamenco music and flamenco dancing.
– - Destination 360

And to preview what I will have the delight and pleasure of seeing . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    I sent you an email to your Yahoo address yesterday with some thoughts on Andalucia.

    I know you´re going to have a wonderful trip and enjoy everything Spain has to offer.

    Safe travels. We left some Jerez and Cava for you to enjoy. Eat lots of tapas, they are delicious and cheap!

    Maria from Jerez de la Frontera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria, it's so wonderful to hear from you. I'm so glad you commented here about your e-mail because my iphone doesn't show the Spam folder and when I went on line to check that's when I saw your e-mail.

    Thank you so much for leaving me some Jerez and Cava . . . :) I will definitely enjoy sampling as many glasses as I can and will definitely try just as many tapas. Glad to know that they are very delicious and cheap too!

    That's so awesome that you spent time in Ronda and even crossed that new bridge several times! Good for you! I really appreciate all the recommendations you shared with me on Sevilla, they all sound very cool and I am transferring all your recommendation to my iTouch so I can refer to them while I am there. I'm so happy to hear that Cordoba was your favorite along with Ronda. I just may have to bring along my toothbrush and a change of clothes just in case I want to turn my day trip to Cordoba into an overnight daytrip! :) Ha, ha!

    I'm sure as I type this, you and your husband are in Morocco by now! What a totally awesome experience that is going to be. I can't wait to hear about your trip to Venice, Spain and Morocco when I return. Everyone and especially the regulars will be so happy to hear from you when you arrive home!

    Thank you so much your kind and parting words! I know that I will totally enjoy my Spanish adventure! Hope you have a great trip in Morocco! And I also hope you have a wonderful family celebration in Atlanta.

    Enjoy the remainder of your vacation and safe travels back home to the both of you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.