Sunday, June 19, 2016

Happy Father's Day: On The Camino

The scallop shell is an important symbol of the Camino de Santiago. Legend has it that after Saint James' death, his disciples shipped his body to the Iberian Peninsula to be buried in what is now the city of Santiago de Compostela.  A heavy storm hit the ship and the body of Saint James was lost at sea.  After a period of time, the body washed ashore undamaged and covered in scallop shells. 

For the modern day pilgrims, the scallop shell is seen along the trails to help guide the way for pilgrims. It is also carried by pilgrims (typically tied on their backpacks) as a sign of their pilgrimage.The shell is seen as a metaphor for the camino pilgrimage where the grooves in the shell come together at a single point, representing the different routes pilgrims can take to the tomb of Saint James in Santiago de Compostela.

Today, my heart goes out to a very special father, Mr. Larry Fagan.  His daughter, Tammie Fagan is a former co-worker of mine and a good friend. With the help of his loving family he is battling cancer. My prayers and thoughts go out to Mr. Fagan on this Father's Day and to his family.

As I did on Mother's Day, I have added my Dad's name to my Camino shell.  I don't know what my dad would've thought about me doing this pilgrimage. Like my mother, I think he would be supportive, smile and then tell me to just be careful. Love and miss them both!

I know how important prayers from others were to me when my parents were sick and I want to send some love and prayers to others who need them now as well.


And I thought it would be cool to write the names of my sister and her family on my shell so I can take them along with me on the Camino all the way to Santiago de Compostela.

To my dad who is looking down from heaven, a very special Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.