Friday, August 22, 2014

Saturday's PhotoHunting: Umbrellas

Let your soul be satisfied 
with the odd beauty of this landscape
that although the world walk in truth
you'll never find, like this, nothing.

Good and bad dynamic and changing
find here, from 1st name, 
keep in your heart of man humble
a true and consistent message.

Meditate and feel the deep emotion
contemplating the vibrant climax 
eternal mist that is circled.

And do not try to describe it in your voice
only he leans his forehead against the abyss
is the mirror of the word God
~ Alfonso Ricciutto

Once upon a time . . . . I woke up in a place called Iguazu, Argentina.  I said to myself, today, I have a plan to see Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat). To get there I will take the train from the Cataratas del Iguazu train station. Then I will walk 1km on these metal walkways.  

At the start, there was some light rain but that didn't dampen my excitement.  About 20 more yards and I can already hear and feel the power of Garganta del Diablo.


Everyone wore these plastic hooded rain ponchos, a few carried umbrellas. Most of them were solid colors and rather ordinary. Happily I spotted a Minnie Mouse contribution to brighten things up.  I wish I had found one with Hello Kitty for fellow Photohunter, YTSL (Webs of Significance), but no such luck. It was a Disney fan tour group. 


Umbrellas come in different sizes too. Here the group photographer pulls out the big guns to protect his camera and gear. I can relate, it was hard keeping my lens dry. 


Here it is.  Devil's Throat! 


Suddenly, the sky opens up and there's a heavy downpour with thunder.  By this time the big tour group left and it was just a handful of us watching Garganta del Diablo thundering away.   


After taking a lot of photos and video, I put my camera away and just like these two visitors, I just stood there for about an hour in awe!  With no umbrella I got drenched. But it was okay, because I realize that I may never get to experience this again and I was soaking it all in (literally and figuratively).  As it turns out I did return the next day when the sun was out. It was nice to be able to see the falls more clearly without the mist and rain.

But honestly, there was just something uniquely special about this day's experience.   This little adventure taught me that sometimes in life you just have to say screw it. I don't care if I get wet (or whatever).  I'm just going to let the rain come down on me so I can enjoy this very fleeting magical moment. And yes, I did say Whoo Hoo and Whoa out loud several times. 

The End. At least for now. :)

To see more PhotoHunters, you can visit Gattina's Keyhole Pictures website HERE!  


9 comments:

  1. Impressive falls! Rain or no rain I would want to go for this gorgeous sight! Happy weekend Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ECL, yes they were quite impressive. I have seen some beautiful waterfalls before but this was amazing. I'm so glad I got to see it twice.

    Have a happy weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Kathy, thanks for thinking of me!

    The Devil's Throat looks awe-inspiring. I wonder how it'd compare to the two great waterfalls I've visited -- Niagara Falls (I actually was over on the Canadian side, which I've been told has the better views), and Victoria Falls (which I've seen from both the Zimbabwean and Zambian sides :b).

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the moment I only need umbrellas against the sunshine ! Rain is far away !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi girls, thanks so much for your comments.

    YTSL, I would love to see Niagara and Victoria Falls. How cool that you got to see both sides of Victoria Falls. I wanted to see Iguazu from the Brazil side but I just didn't plan ahead for it and didn't get a visa. I know that you love Hello Kitty so I always think of you when I see a Hello Kitty when I travel. I haven't seen a Puppet Ponyo yet though. I'll keep my eyes open for them and I will snap a photo when I see them while traveling.

    Gattina, here too! :)

    Thanks again YTSL & Gatting. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dream falls.. It is so expensive to travel there - about 10K. Nearly 2 days of travel to reach the other half of the globe. :(
    Thanks for sharing.

    http://simply888here.blogspot.sg/2014/08/saturday-photohunt-engage.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aiya, thank so much for your comments. Wow, 10K and two days of travel that is pretty steep. There are so many beautiful places to see all around us, some closer than others. It's nice to be able to see some of them whenever we get a chance. I am so thankful to be able to see some of them.

      Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  7. I love the way you told this amazing story with photos, words, and that beautiful poem. What a great adventure (and those falls look so incredible!).

    Hope you are having a good week. I'm looking forward to a long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, thanks so much for liking my photos and story. :) It was definitely quite the adventure.

      I'm so looking forward to this long weekend too. Have a great long weekend. This year went by so fast.

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.