Tuesday, November 19, 2013

2013 Peruvian Adventures: Clear Skys, Stormy Weather and Random Thoughts

Dark clouds moved slowly over the peaks, loud crackling thunder, flashes of lightening, strong gusty winds and big heaping drops of rain slammed down in this small town of Ollantaytambo.  They say that it was the biggest storm in five years and I was here to experience it.  The electricity went out for a few hours and the Internet was down for two days.  The experience reminded me of just how much Mother Nature can be in control of things in our lives. 

Today is my last full day here in Ollantaytambo.  I move on to  Aqua Calientes to explore Machu Picchu more in depth for three days rather than that quick day trip I did on a whim last week so I could buy my entrance tickets.  After, I head back to Ollantaytambo to pick up my luggage which I will store with my hotel who will arrange for a taxi to then take me to Cusco where I'll sightsee for four days before heading home. My, how time has flown by.

I shall miss my home away from home.  The hotel I've been staying in has been wonderful, the people I've met have been friendly and accommodating.  I  even met these three travelers who are artists from across the US.  They leave for Cusco today, I shall miss our conversations.

Although I haven't been blogging much (due to slow internet and the storm), I have been keeping notes so I won't forget my thoughts.  I have some impressions of Peru which I have been working on and which when I have a chance I shall post along with a couple of other posts I have pending.  But for now I shall leave you with this random post.  Aside from that storm this past Saturday, the weather has been wonderful and I have been able to do everything that was on my "must do" list.  I am thankful for that.  I've seen several significant Inca sites and have gone to the two famous Sunday Markets in Pisac and Chinchero.

Here are some random photos. I will try to post more.

Pisac Ruins....


Inca water canal in Ollantaytambo, near the fortress...


Chinchero Sunday Market   . . .


My favorite coffee maker at a shop just a few steps from my hotel in Ollantaytambo....


Hope to post again once I'm in Aqua Calientes.   Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog posts.





4 comments:

  1. Wow, the storm sounds intense! Glad the weather has been good except for that. Glad too that the power wasn't out for too long. Love seeing your photos! Have fun during your in depth exploration of the sacred city. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, thanks so much for your comments. Yes, that storm kind of caught me by surprise. Rain even came through the windows in my room and others. The water turned dark (which is why I only use bottled water to brush my teeth) as I was told the storm overflowed their water filter. Yikes. But the recovery was rather quick and there really wasn't any damage unlike past storms in this area, so I am very grateful for that. Thanks for liking my photos. I wish I could post more but the internet is super slow. Maybe it'll be faster in Aqua Calientes. I'm looking forward to exporing the "sacred city" as you said, So much history and how the Incas were able to build MP is just too amazing! If I don't get a chance to say, hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday

      Delete
  2. What an adventure you are having, Kathy! Thanks for sharing with us! (And your barrista is pretty cute.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thanks so much for your comments. Cute and saved me with a good cup of coffee rather than the "instant" coffee offered at breakfast at my hotel. :)

      Hope you're having a good winter in Rome.

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.