Monday, January 14, 2013

A Day of Travel and Inspiration

My friends and I decided to head over to the Travel and Adventure Show yesterday to get some travel ideas.  Of course, we always like to kid around and why not take a photo opp of each other hanging off of a cliff in the Yosemite!  Here are my friends wearing the same outfit and almost reaching the summit! :) 
 


There were some really interesting speakers like Patricia Shultz, author of "1000 Places to See Before You Die."  This was a quote that she put up in her slide show presentation that would prove to have great meaning to me later in the day. 


After walking through the maze of vendors and picking up brochures and pamphlets here and there, we happen to stumble upon a booth about the legendary "El Camino de Santiago" or "The Way of Saint James".  I remember watching the movie by Emilio Esteves and being so inspired that I wrote a review about it HERE.  


I've heard about this pilgrimage for years and have wanted to do this for so long, but have always found a reason not to.  But upon reflecting on Patricia's presentation, I remember that quote and her words of encouragement to travel now and not put it off!

By coincidence I had already decided that I wanted to visit Lisbon, Portugal and the City of Santiago de Compostela in Spain this year.  So between that decision and yesterday's inspiration to do the El Camino de Santiago, well there is just no denying that this year must be the year to full fill this long time coming Dream to do the El Camino de Santiago or do at least the minimum required 100km in order to get my Compostela (Certificate)!  :)

I usually don't post my plans on my blog here until I've purchased my tickets and I am 99% certain of my travel plans, but I'm just so excited about the prospect of this adventure trip that I could not hold it in.  Stay tuned....
 

6 comments:

  1. This is exciting! The Camino is on my "someday" list too - I've been so intrigued by it ever since I read Shirley Maclaine's book about when she walked it. I need to get that movie from Netflix.

    Congratulations on having your plans this early in the year! And the photos of your friends are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, yes, feel so very excited. That's cool that the Camino is on your someday list too. It has been on mine for years and I'm really hoping we can really pull it off to go this year. My friends are very inspired as I and we're going to start training for a possible 10 mile per day hike so we can complete the required 100 miles for the compostela. Logistics will be tricky but we're beginning to do the research. We might go with a tour but we're considering planning our walk on our own. I had no idea that Shirly Maclaine did it. I'll have to check out her book. I know that Andrew McCartney did it too and he said it was a life changing experience. I can't wait. This is the earliest that I've every set trip plans in motion. My friends are fun and are always up for anything. :)

      I think you would really like the movie so hopefully it will be available on netflix. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. The photo op of your friends had be chuckling after having a long afternoon doing a file. :D Wow an adventure in Europe, have fun! I wish I can visit that part of the world so easily or just fit inside in someone's luggage. hahaha. I don't know about the movie. I hope cable will air it. They seemed to be re-airing black and white movies these days so something from Emilio Estevez early projects might cycle back. I hope. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raine, thanks for liking my photos. We can all get pretty silly when we really want to. :) Which unfortunately is often. he, eh. I think you get a chance to watch that movie because you would totally like it. It's about relationships, life and how we live it. Plus the scenery in Northern Spain is breathtaking.

    Thanks again for your comments. Hope you have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, the Camino has been on my list for a long time as well - I'm so excited to hear that you're beginning to plan to do a leg of this. You are so inspiring|

    I wish i could see the Martin Sheen-Emilio Estevan movie, it looks great. Maybe I'll find it somewhere here or on iTunes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra, thanks so much for your comments. I'm pretty excited to be doing a leg of the Camino. I wish I could do the whole thing but just can't get away from work for 5 weeks. :) But the last let of 67 miles is the goal and it is the minimum requirement to get the Compostela. Maybe later I can go back and do additional legs. For now I think this is an achievable goal. I've started training (this part will be just as hard). I just checked iTunes here and they have it, but not sure how iTunes works in Italy. Here we have the option to rent or purchase. I think you would really like the movie, so hope you get a chance to read it.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.