Friday, November 9, 2012

2012 South America Advntures: Great Acoustics, Wide Avenue Crossing, a Storm & My First Subte Ride

As you know, yesterday I woke up later than my usual early travel time and then to top it off, there was this tremendous storm.  I'm talking strong winds, thunder and heavy rain.  As luck would have it the rain stopped later in the afternoon and so I decide to head over to the Teatro Colon.  This was my first taste of riding the famous Subte.  It wasn't bad.  A short bus ride from Plaza Serrano to Plaza Italia, then take the D line Subte and get off at the stop only a block away from the Theatre.
  
 The fee was $2.50 pesos (one way).  I got there in time to take the 4:00 pm English Tour.   
Teatro Colón which started construction in 1880 and finished in 1908 is a major landmark in Buenos Aires and a world class venue for Ballot, Opera and Classical music, because of its amazing acoustics.  In fact, it is considered to be among the top 5 venues in the world. 
For $110 Argentine pesos a guide takes you through the building providing details of the history, background and stories of performances and performers. According to the tour guide the construction materials are such that the sound bounces off the walls rather than being absorbed by them. This is part of the reason for the Theatre's amazing acoustics.  


First we are shown a wonderful display of some of the beautiful constumes used by famous  performers.  We are taken to the "Golden Room" then into the Great Hall.  The architecture is very beautiful and impressive.
There was a rehearsal going on so we were warned that we could not take photos of the stage. We could, however, take photos of everything else.   While the singers were praticing we experienced a small sample of the amazing acoustics and now I can really understand how it is among the top five venues in the world.  


Next, I get a quick look at the Obelisco de Buenos Aires, which is located at the Plaza de la Republica.


 And while there, I just had to cross the Avenida 9 de Julio which is considered to be the widest avenue in the world.   


 Now, just after taking this photo the skys opened up again and I suddenly find myself getting,  soaked.  I high tailed it back to the D-Line Subte Stop and made my way back to Plaza Italia, but instead of taking the bus back or walking, I spent $13 pesos for a quick taxi ride back to my apartment. It was so worth it.   I'm not sure what my plans are for tomorrow.  Stay tuned . . .


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful theater. The subway looks very clean in your photo. Sounds like you're off to a great start, rainstorms and all! Hope you see some sunny skies soon. Have fun and thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why it is one of the top 5 venues in the world. Beautiful. I hope the weather gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That theatre looks spectacular, Kathy! Great photos - hope the weather improves soon for you!

    ReplyDelete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.