Wednesday, May 2, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Songs from the 60's and British Pop

Tonight the Idols will perform two songs:  First, a song from the 60's and the second a song from British Pop.  And to help Jimmy Iovine, the famous and very talented guitarist, Steven Van Zant (Little Steven), from  Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

First, here's how the Idols did with songs from the 60's: 

Hollie Cavanagh starts things off by singing Ike & Tina Turner's River Deep, Mountain High.   I wasn't sure how she would do with such a powerful song and to my surprise I thought she did an awesome job.  I loved it.  And what I really liked the most is she came out with conviction and gave a strong performance. Look out!

Phillip Phillips sings The Letter from the Box Tops.  I thought he did a good job, but I didn't totally love it. 

Skylar Laine sings Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son. Skylar and Hollie are like the two little trains that could.  I really enjoyed her performance.

Jessica Sanchez sings Proud Mary by Ike and Tina Turner. Yo! Dudette! What a fabulous performance. I loved it.

Joshua Ledet sings Ain't Too Proud to Beg by the Temptations.  He nailed it!

Next, here's how the Idols did with songs from British Pop: 

Hollie Cavanagh sings Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis.  She did a great job again.  Wonderful.
 
Phillip Phillips sings the Zombies' Time of the Season. I liked this performance better than his first song.
 
Skylar Laine sings Dusty Springfield's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.  I'm a huge Skylar Laine fan!
 
Jessica Sanchez sings Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful.  I still can't believe that she's only 16 years old.  Beautiful.
 
Joshua Ledet sings To Love Somebody by the Bee Gees.  Best performance of the night and of Season 11.  The only other Idol to command the Idol stage as much as Joshua is Adam Lambart.  Amazing performance.
 
Here's how I would rate tonight's first round:  Joshua Ledet, Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine, Jessica Sanchez, Phillip Phillips.

And here's how I would rate the second round:  Joshua Ledet (period).
 
Here's how I would rate the group performances: Girl Power wins it hands down. 

Good luck to the Idols and now off to place my votes.

And that's my Recap. Keep on Rocking AI . . .

2 comments:

  1. Joshua was amazing! I agree completely with your comparison to Adam Lambert. And finally, Hollie has her best night. Some really good song choices last night, and Little Steven was an entertaining mentor.

    No clue what will happen tonight. If it's solely based on last night, it might be Philip but I can't imagine the Final 4 having only one guy in it, LOL>

    Thanks for the recap and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I just got home and turned on my computer to read the East Coast feeds to find out that Skylar was in the bottom and now eliminated. I feel so bad but know that she'll have a successful career. Can't wait for next week's showdown. :-)

      Thanks for mentioning how great Little Steven was as guest mentor. I thought he was entertaining too and really enjoyed his little disagreements with Jimmy. :) And your are right, I think Hollie had her best night last night.

      Thanks so much for sharing your recap too Annie. Have a great weekend.

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.