Wednesday, May 16, 2012

American Idol Season 11: It's Homecoming Week!





Tonight, we are treated  to video clips of the hometown celebrations that were held for the top three finalists.  We are also treated to hearing the top three Idols perform three songs each to earn their way into the Finale show next week.  
 
For round one, the Idols perform songs that were selected by the judges for them to sing: 

Joshua Ledet sings one of my all time favorite songs, I'd Rather Go Blind by Etta James.   In true Joshua fashion, a near perfect peformance.  I think the old fashioned microphone that Joshua uses is so cool.  

Jessica Sanchez is given My All by Mariah Carey.  It is a really hard song to sing, but I thought she pulled it out nicely.

Phillip Phillips is asked to sing beggin' by Madcon. I'm kind  of surprised that I actually really enjoyed his performance a lot.  He rocked it out!

For the second round, we get to see all of the Homecoming celebrations and the Idols perform songs of their choice:  

Joshua Ledet's homecoming was filled with delicious crawfish, a very nice family reunion and church service, a parade and a James Brown song performance.  It was really cool to see Joshua's homecoming.  For his song choice, Joshua perform's Imagine by John Lennon.  Just beautiful!

Jessica Sanchez travels to San Diego by helicopter stopping first to where it all began.  She remembers being among the thousands waiting in the San Diego Padres' stadium for their dream shot and now she's back as one of the top three finalists.  She enjoys being reunited with her family and was glad to see all of her fans.  Jessica sings an Aerosmith classic, I Don't Want to Miss a Thing.  I don't think it was her best performance, but I love that song and I'm a huge Jessica fan.

Phillip Phillips returned to a proud father and mother who can't hug him enough.  He is overcome with emotion to the reception he had.  It was very touching to see this emotional sensitive of Phillip.  He decides to sing a song by Matchbox 20 called Disease.  I have not heard of this song before and I liked it. 

Last song of the night is chosen by Jimmy Iovine and here's how it went:

Joshua Ledet is asked to perform No More Drama by Mary J. Blige.  I had the great privilage to watch Mary J. perform this song live at a Prince concert.  Mary took it to church then and Joshua took it to church tonight!  Amazing performance.

Jessica Sanchez performs I'll Be There by the great Michael Jackson. I love this song and I thought she did a really great job with it. 

Phillip Phillips sings We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger. Great song choice, great performance and I loved it! 

So who do I think performed their way into the Finale show?  Wow, how can I possibly choose only one shining star, when there are three!   As far as I'm concerned, Joshua, Jessica and Phillip are all winners and they will have very successful music careers.  

I can't wait for tomorrow night's results and I also can't wait to see Adam Lambert return to the Idol stage.

And that's my Recap. Keep on Rocking AI . . .

5 comments:

  1. Adam Lambert? That's awesome news! Will be great to hear him again.

    My favorite performance of the night was Joshua No More Drama. That is so cool that you saw Mary J sing it at a Prince show! It's such a great song and Joshua did such an amazing job. I also liked Imagine as his own choice.

    But I feel like Philip is coming on strong. It's been so long since a female won Idol - can Jessica do it? I don't know. I thought she was good last night but the songs choices weren't the best. It was weird that Jimmy chose a Bob Segar song for Philip but it worked!
    I love the see the Homecomings!

    Have a great day and thanks for the recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, yes it will be very cool to see Adam perform tonight. I loved Joshua's No More Drama. Seeing Mary J. perform that song was a real highlight for me other than watching Prince. I would love to see all three of them battle it out for the title. I think Jessica did good too, but you are so right I don't think the songs that were chosen for her and that she chose allowed her to use her vocal strength in the say last week's second performance did. As Randy said, there was no "moment". I don't know too. My favorite two performances were Joshua singing Mary J's song and Philip singing Bob Segar's song. I chose to vote for all three. :)

      I also loved watching the hometown celebrations, always my favorite part in the Season.

      Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and your recap too. I can't wait for tonight.

      Delete
    2. Hi Annie, not sure if you'll read this comment, but I just watched the results show and am very shocked that Joshua isn't in the finale. Loved his farewell performance. He is going to have an awesome career! It was also very cool to see Adam Lambert again. It should be a very interesting and entertaining Finale with two very different performers.

      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathy, I'm shocked too! I really thought he deserved to be there and he was my favorite of the final three. I feel bad for him.

    Yes, it was so great to see Adam. And I thought Lisa Marie Presley was pretty good too. She looks so much like her father!

    I haven't heard what performers will be coming for the finale. They usually get some good people. Wouldn't it be great if Prince came again? That was so awesome!

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi anni, yes, Prince again on Idol would be totally awesome.

      I like all three of them too, but it would've been a very cool finale to have Joshsua & Jessica in the Finale. He was so cool with his farewell song hugging Jessica & Phillip, all the judges and bringing up his mom on stage.

      Adam was really great and so was Lisa.

      I'm looking forward to next week's Finale. Time sure does fly by. :)

      Have a great weekend too.

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.