Wednesday, April 11, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Songs of this Decade


Tonight the Idols perform songs from the current decade and guest mentor Akon joins Jimmy Iovine to help the Idols prepare for their performance.

And here's how the evening went:

Skylar Laine sings Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You by Kellie Pickler. Although I'm not familiar with this song, I really enjoyed her performance.  It was a perfect song choice. 

Colton Dixon sings Love the Way You Lie by Skylar Grey.  I loved it. 

Jessica Sanchez sings Stuttering by Jazmine Sullivan.   Who? What?  I had never heard of this artist or this song before. She totally nailed it!  This song really demonstrates how good she really is.  Love the staging, love the scanting, love the runs, loved her performance!

Joshua Ledet sings Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars.  I loved his energy and his performance.  The horns in the background was pretty cool too. 

Hollie Cavanagh sings Perfect by Pink. Good for her. I thought she did a much better job tonight then last week.  It was a great song choice.

Phillip Phillips sings Maroon 5's Give a Little More.  I have to agree with the judges on this one.  I enjoyed his performance as always and maybe that's the issue.   There was no big wow factor, like in Jessica's performance.

Elise Testone sings You and I by Lady Gaga and  I thought she did so much better than last week. I never noticed this before but I think she kind of looks like Mariah Carey. I agreed that playing the drums would have distracted her from her singing, but it would've been cool to show how multi-talented she really is. 

Here's how I rated tonight's performances:  Jessica Sanchez, Joshua Ledet, Elise Testone, Colton Dixon, Skylar Laine, Phillip Phillips, Hollie Cavanagh.

And here's how I rate the dual performances:  Colton/Skylar sings Don't You Wanna Stay by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson; Joshua/Hollie/Jessica sing Kelly Clarkson's Stronger (what Doesn't Kill You); Phillip/Elise sings Somebody that I used to Know by Gotye.

I had a really hard time rating the Idols tonight because I thought they all did so well. I'm not sure who's going home.  I think if for some ridiculous reason Jessica, Joshua, or Elise lands on the bottom, the judges may use their one and only save. 

And that's my Recap. Keep on Rocking AI . . .

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, thanks for the recap! I fell asleep about halfway through and missed Joshua's perfomance - bummer! So I'm not quite up to speed and appreciated reading your thoughts. I really thought Hollie should have gone home last week and will be curious to see what happens tonight.

    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, thanks so much for your comments. I just read the east coast feeds and I am shocked. As I wrote my comments that about the judges using their save only if Jessica, Joshua or Elise landed in the bottom I could not have imagine it being so! Maybe Elise but surely not Jessica & Joshua.

      The save was rightfully used so I'm watching tonight's episode and definitely voting next week. I was going to vote for Jessica but like a dork I didn't because I thought for sure that she would go through, which is probably what a lot of Jessica fans thought when they didn't vote. :(

      Should be interesting next week without the save. Hopefully America will vote for the best performances.

      I can't wait for next week. Hope you are having a great week too! :)

      Delete
  2. I am shocked too! I fell asleep again and missed all the craziness. I can only think that people are so certain about Joshua and Jessica, they didn't vote for them. I guess I need to start voting for Joshua because he's my favorite and I do think he deserves to be in the Top Three, at least!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, it was totally crazy. And the best part is when Jessica started to sing her Save song, all three judges walked up on stage. JLO took the mic from Jessica and placed her by the other Idols and then they announced that they were going to save her. And I bet they would've done the same thing for Joshua had he been in the bottom. I think they would've used it too on Elise.

      I'm totally voting for Jessica too next week (as I'm sure she'll do very well as I know Joshua will). I might have to spread my votes three ways. My top three is Jessica, Joshua and Elise.

      For Jessica, I just hope this doesn't shake her confidence too much. I thought she handled herself like a pro during the ordeal, but when she sang her song you could tell that she was shaken. Poor thing. I like all top 7 a lot and I think they are all talented and have record deals already waiting for them which is cool. Still, it would be fun to see the Idol who gives the best performances to win though. Some years its been right and some not so. :)

      Next week should be very interesting!

      Have a great weekend too!

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.