Wednesday, April 18, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Then and Now


After last week's shocker of Joshua, Jessica and Elise landing in the bottom three and Jessica facing elimination, I was really looking forward to tonight's show.

With the theme songs from Now and Then, the Idols performed two songs tonight.  First up, the contestants sing a song from the year 2010 and on.  And here's how it went: 

Hollie Cavanah sings Adele's Rolling in the Deep and I thought it was her best performance in the competition.  Like Randy, I also felt that this was the first time I had as JLO says "goosies".

Colton Dixon sings Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.  I thought it was a step down from his past performances. :(

Elise Testone sings Alicia Keys' No One.  I really like Elise and I enjoyed this performance.   

Phillip Phillips sings Usher's U Got It Bad.  I loved it. He changed it a bit to fit his style and I thought it worked.

Jessica Sanchez sings Alicia Keys' Fallin. I am so happy that the judges used their one and only save on her because she deserves to move on in the competition.  Great performance.

Skylar Laine sings Lady Gaga's Born This Way.  The girl rocked it out, country style!  Awesome performance!

Joshua Ledet sings Fantasia's I Believe.  Great performance. I loved Fantasia's performance a bit better, but I thought he did the song justice.

Next up, the contestants will tackle the soul classics:  

Hollie Cavanagh sings Dusty Springfield's Son of A Preacher Man.  I really enjoyed it.  She looks so much more relaxed this week and did really well on both performances. 

Colton Dixon sings Earth, Wind and Fire's September.  Unlike the judges, I actually liked his performance.  It was much better than his first performance, which the judges liked better.  Go figure.

Elise Testone sings Marvyn Gaye's Let's Get It On.  I love this song and I loved her performance.  I think the judges were a little too tough on her.  I really hope she doesn't land in the bottom as a result.  

Jessica Sanchez sings Otis Redding's Try a Little Tenderness.  I think I liked her first performance better.  Sorry. :(  But she is very talented and so I hope she still moves on.

Skylar Laine sings her version of Marvin Gaye's Heard it Through the Grapevine.  I enjoyed her performance.  She definitely brings her Country flair to each song and each genre that she tackles. 

Joshua Ledit sings Sam Cooke's A Chance Is Gonna Come.   Brilliant!

Here's how I would rate the first performances:  Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine,  Hollie Cavanagh, Phillip Phillips, Elise Testone, Joshua Ledet, Colton Dixon.

And here's how I would rate the second performances:  Joshua Ledet, Elise Testone, Jessica Sanchez,  Phillip Phillips, Skylar Laine, Hollie Cavanagh, Colton Dixon.

This week's elimination is going to be heartbreaking no matter who it is.  But on the positive side, I think each of these contestants will definitely have Post Idol success to look forward to.

And now, I'm off to vote!

And that's my Recap. Keep on Rocking AI . . .

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap, Kathy! I have no idea what will happen tonight. The voting was so crazy last week that it makes it hard to predict. I just hope that Joshua is safe; he is my favorite this year. I still think Hollie should have gone home already and that she should go home before Elise, but tonight Elise might be the one to go. You are right - I think they will all have post-Idol record deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I also think that Elise is in jeopardy of going home tonight, but the way the votes have been I wouldn't be surprised if someone else lands in the bottom. I voted for 4 people last night several times. Jessica, Elise, Joshua and Skylar because they really have been consistent. Hollie and Phillip were better this week and I thought Colton didn't do as well this week.

      The lines were super busy for Jessica and Elise so I don't know . . .

      Should be very interesting tonight. I'm going to cheat as usual and read the East Coast Feeds. :)

      Thanks so much for your comments and recap too. I hope Joshua, Jessica and Elise makes it through.

      Delete
  2. Well Kathy, you called it. You had Colton at the bottom of both sets of performances and he was the one to go. I guess America got it right but I don't think he was the worst of the ones remaining. Just goes to show how important song choice is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I usually don't agree with America's votes so I am very shocked that he left. I think this top six is very strong. Hollie being the weakest, although I thought she did so much better this past week. If Elise doesn't do something amazing next week, she could be next. I'm actually surprised that she had more votes than Hollie. It's getting down to the wire and it's very excited to see all of them perform at an even higher level in the competition.

      Thanks so much for your comments and recap. Can't wait for next week's show. :) Have a great weekend.

      Delete

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.