Sunday, October 26, 2008

Toledo, Spain . . .

From Madrid, I will take the high speed AVE train (1/2 hour away) to the city of Toledo which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. In the Middle ages, Toledo was a melting pot of Christian, Muslim and Jewish cultures. It is positioned high on a rocky perch and is surrounded on three sides by the Tajo River. I read that Toledo which was considered home to famous Spanish artist El Greco will offer a wonderful medieval atmosphere for me to experience. Cool!

My must see’s will include the Cathedral which was built in the 16th century and houses famous pieces of art such as El Greco’s painting, “The Deunding of Christ” which is above the marble altar.

I want to also walk Toledo’s ramparts over the bridge and through the gate into the City, I hope to also have enough time to visit the Alcazar (if it is open). If not, then I’ll probably wonder through the city. Maria mentioned getting a Toledo sword letter opener as a great souvenir from Toledo which I really like. I want to make time to do a bit of shopping before I head back to Madrid.

I think visiting Toledo will be an awesome experience and I can't wait to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's me Trekcapri (aka Kathy). Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.